Embed this Image On Your Site
How to become a graphic designer? Graphic designers usually need a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field.
Know Your Shortcuts (Tritik)
Photoshop – Adobe Photoshop is a great program for modifying already created images or graphics.
- Out of 100 job posts studied, 79% required Photoshop.
- You can have complete control of your projects, since you can edit your graphic pixel-by-pixel.
- Purpose is to take the elements that you create in Illustrator.
- Basic: Cropping, straightening, rotating and flipping.
Auto-Fix: One touch adjustment.
Blemish Removal: Ability to remove any spot or dirt from the image.
Illustrator – Used often to create logos or anything that may need to be printed or displayed at different sizes.
- 74% wanted illustrator.
- If you want to use vector art to create logos, sketches, typography, icons or even complex illustrations for videos or mobile then Illustrator is the tool for you.
- 74% wanted InDesign.
- Used for layouts, books, or multipage items.
- Vibrant color schemes
- Color gradients are back
- Unconventional colors
- Bold and handwritten fonts
- Multiple brand color schemes
Demand for Designers
Who Hires Graphic Designers?
- Advertising agencies
- Retail stores
- Public relations
- Publications, magazines, newspapers
- Software development companies
- TV and Video production companies
What Will My Title Be?
- Graphic Designer
- Digital Designer
- Creative Director
- Web Designer
- Art Production Manager
- UX Designer
Interview Tips and Tricks
- Be prepared for unique interview elements.
- You may be asked how you would improve certain designs that are presented to you.
- You may be asked to briefly create a design in-person.
- Bringing a physical portfolio to the interview can be a powerful asset.
- Be honest about your skills.
- Focus on what you do well and how it can benefit the organization.
- If you aren’t proficient in a skill, express your desire to learn more. Professional development is a major part of the industry.
Ready to Get Started?
Southeastern University’s online Bachelor of Science in Digital Media & Design gives you the knowledge you need to start or advance your career in graphic design. Learn how to lead others and excel in this fully online program.