Discover how to meet the needs of children with dyslexia and other learning differences and become more effective as an instructor with our online Certificate of Dyslexia Education.
Reading issues are far more common than most people think. According to the National Center for Learning Disabilities, one in five children in the U.S. has a learning issue such as dyslexia. While earning your dyslexia certification online with Southeastern University, you can develop new skills and discover how to better help students who are challenged with reading and writing. You will also discover the success of multi-sensory teaching of reading instruction. Conveniently complete your studies on your own schedule with the fully online format while learning from professors who specialize in child learning differences.
Our dyslexia specialist certification online program prepares you to:
- Recognize common traits and behaviors of children with dyslexia
- Teach reading, spelling and handwriting to students with dyslexia or learning issues
- Increase student literacy achievement through evidence-based teaching methods and strategies
- Incorporate the Orton-Gillingham instructional approach into your classroom curriculum
You’ll choose one of two courses to tailor the program to your interests. In EDUC 5553, you’ll gain knowledge of procedures for reading assessment, its process and the protocols in decision-making for educating students with exceptional needs. Through EDUC 5603, you will learn the administration and interpretation of instructional assessments for teaching those with reading difficulties.
Southeastern University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees.
Courses and Requirements
Our dyslexia certification online program is made up of 12 credits.
Students who wish to enroll in Southeastern University’s dyslexia certification online program must:
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
Course Number Course Title Description Credits ESED 5513 Dyslexia This course is designed to provide the knowledge regarding dyslexia. This course assists candidates in understanding what is dyslexia, how to identify dyslexia, methodology used to teach a student with dyslexia and identifying the emotional consequences of dyslexia. 3 ESED 5523 Orton-Gillingham Methodology This course is designed to provide knowledge of the techniques for use of the Orton-Gillingham approach for reading, spelling and handwriting instruction for individuals or small groups identified with learning disabilities, reading problems and/or dyslexia. Strategies for use in the inclusive classroom will be investigated. Coordination with the regular classroom curriculum will be addressed. 3 EDUC 5433 Research-Based Practices of Reading and Writing Instruction This course focuses on evidence-based methods of teaching K-12 literacy instruction that will assist teachers in broadening their repertoire of strategies designed to increase student reading and writing achievement in both literacy and content areas. This course will provide the participant with techniques for implementing a delivery system in the classroom that includes direct and explicit instruction of comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, and word study skills through the scaffolding of strategies. 3
Select one of the following:
Course Number Course Title Description Credits EDUC 5553 Measurement and Assessment in Reading This course examines the administration and interpretation of instructional assessments to include screening, diagnosis and progress monitoring with purposes of prevention, identification and differentiation of instruction of literacy difficulties. 3 ESED 5603 Assessment-Driven Instruction This course is designed to provide knowledge regarding assessment procedures, the assessment process (including pre-referral and referral) and protocols utilized in making decisions and judgments regarding individualized educational plans, placements, programs and lesson planning for students in exceptional education. This introductory course assists students in basic knowledge regarding formal and informal assessment and in the interpretation of test scores to drive instruction. 3
Tuition and Fees
|Tuition||$375 per credit hour||$4,500|
|Technology Fee||$150 per semester||$300|
|General Student Fee||$150 per semester||$300|
Time to completion varies by student, depending on individual progress. Fees are charged per semester unless otherwise noted. This program takes an estimated two semesters to complete. For an estimate of your time to completion, call an enrollment advisor at 866.858.6290 or request more information.
* Tuition and fees are subject to change. Books and materials are not included and may cost up to an additional $5,500.
At SEU, we want to help make your online education even more affordable, so we offer a variety of financial aid options. About 98 percent of our students receive some form of financial aid, and we have multiple payment options available.Learn More
After graduating with a dyslexia specialist certification online program, you’ll be fully prepared to meet the needs of those with dyslexia. Some of the possible career outcomes include:
- Learning Specialist
- Dyslexia Specialist
- Reading Specialist
- Educational Therapist
Frequently Asked Questions
- Because our online tuition rate is already discounted, we do not offer additional internal scholarships. However, we encourage you to apply for external scholarships. Connect with your tuition planner for additional information.
- Yes. Our online students are an extension of our community. You are welcome to visit campus, use our library or other amenities and attend campus events.
- Typically, you don’t have to take these exams. Contact your enrollment counselor for details.
- We accept transfer credit all the way up to the master's degree level and offer free transfer credit evaluations. Transfer credits are accepted from regionally accredited colleges and universities, as well as institutions accredited by the Association for Biblical Higher Education. We also accept transfer credits from nationally accredited or unaccredited institutions if an articulation agreement exists. For information, view our Transfer Policy.
- Yes. Check with your enrollment counselor to see if you may be eligible for any of these benefits.
Benefits of Learning Online
By studying online with SEU, you’ll experience the luxury of being able to complete your course work during your own time, wherever you may be.Find Out More